If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (515) 233-4544

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Follow These Safety Habits to Prevent A Dangerous Grill Fire

8/6/2020 (Permalink)

a hand cooking meat on an outdoor grill Make sure you follow safe habits whenever you use your grill.

Grill season lasts well into the fall, and most of us are likely making good use of our grills to cook our favorite foods. Grilling allows you to get outside and enjoy the extra daylight summer has to offer, but they also cause many deaths and injuries as well as millions of dollars in property damage each year. No matter how frequently you use your grill, you should always practice good safety habits to avoid a fire.

Create a safe zone around your grill. While it may be convenient to set your grill up on your deck, it’s not a safe choice for its location. Grill fire flare-ups can easily spread to surrounding property, including porches, patio railings and deck. Grill fires can also melt vinyl siding. It’s recommended that you keep at least a three-foot safe zone around your grill at all times away from your home’s structure.

Clean your grill grates often. Food particles can build up on the grill over time, creating a prime opportunity for a grease fire to break out on your grates. Giving the grill a quick brush after each use helps keep down flammable buildup.

Never leave the grill unattended. Just as you would not leave your stove top unattended, you should never walk away from a lit grill, even if the lid is down. Fires can start in an instant. If you keep your eye on the grill and keep a fire extinguisher nearby, you can immediately stop a fire from spreading.

Inspect the grill regularly. While charcoal grills pose fewer hazards, you need to be extremely vigilant about frequently checking the gas lines of a propane grill. The seals around the propane tank and the lines that transport the gas can become worn with time and allow gas leaks that can potentially lead to dangerous explosions. If you see any signs of wear on the tank or the lines, carefully and safely replace them. 

If a grill fire damages your home in Ogden, Huxley, Roland, Maxwell or Cambridge or anywhere in Story or Boone County, call SERVPRO of Ames at (515) 233-4544 any time, day or night . We’ll be there quickly to protect your property from further damage and restore it to its original state, “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts